PERFORMANCE IN AUGUST 2010
1. SALES VALUE
The sales value of the Manufacturing sector in August 2010 continued to post a year-on-year growth of 8.9% (RM3.68 billion) to record RM45.0 billion as compared to RM41.3 billion reported in August 2009. Month-on-month, the sales value, however, decreased marginally by 0.8% or RM375.6 million as compared with the preceding month. The sales value in July 2010 was a revised positive 8.7% year-on-year to record RM45.4 billion..
The year-on-year increase in the sales value during the current month as compared with the corresponding month of the previous year was generated by the growth in the sales value of 63 industries (54.3%) out of 116 industries covered in the survey. The five major industries whose sales value increased significantly were Manufacture of Motor Vehicle (156.9%), Manufacture of Refined Petroleum Products (17.1%), Manufacture of Television and Radio Receivers, Sound or Video Recording or Reproducing Apparatus, and Associated Goods (46.4%), Manufacture of Other Basic Industrial Chemicals except Fertilizers and Nitrogen Compounds (30.0%), and Manufacture of Plastics in Primary Form and of Synthetic Rubber (38.4%).
The decline in the sales value during the current month as compared with the preceding month was the result in the drop of the sales value of 66 industries (56.9%) out of 116 industries covered in the survey. The five major industries whose sales value decreased were Manufacture of Computer and Computer Peripherals (18.0%), Manufacture of Refined Petroleum Products (1.9%), Manufacture of Electronic Valves and Tubes and Printed Circuit Boards (5.1%), Manufacture of Television and Radio Transmitters and Apparatus for Line Telephony and Line Telegraph (14.3%), and Manufacture of Plastic Injection Moulded Components (13.5%).
2. NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES
Total employees engaged in the Manufacturing sector in August 2010 was 990,280, an increase of 1,161 persons or 0.1% compared with the preceding month. Year- on- year, the number of workers employed also increased 53,990 persons or 5.8%, as compared to 936,290 persons in August 2009. Total employees in July 2010 was a revised positive 5.9% year-on-year to record 989,119 workers.
3. SALARIES & WAGES
Salaries & wages paid in August 2010 increased 0.2% or RM3.4 million month-on-month to register RM2,202.2 million. The total amount paid in August 2010 also increased as compared with the corresponding month of the previous year, i.e. 8.2% or RM167.1 million. Salaries & wages paid in July 2010 was a revised positive 10.0% year-on-year to record RM2,198.8 million.
Productivity or average sales value per employee in August 2010 decreased 0.9% month-on-month to register RM45,452. Productivity in August 2010, however, increased by 3.0% as compared with the corresponding month of the previous year. Productivity in July 2010 was a revised positive 2.6% year-on-year to record RM45,886.
PERFORMANCE IN THE PERIOD JANUARY- AUGUST, 2010
During January – August 2010, the sales value of the Manufacturing sector posted a double-digit growth of 17.5% or RM52.5 billion to register RM352.2 billion. The number of employees engaged also increased by 5.8% or 53,990 to 990,280 persons. Cumulatively, productivity or average sales value per employee in this period increased by 11.1% to record RM355,639.
*1.The data are collected through the Monthly Manufacturing Survey. This survey covers 120 out of a total of 197 manufacturing industries, of which only 116 industries are published. Data for 20 industries are fully enumerated while for the remaining 96, only larger establishments above certain employment cutâ€‘offs are covered. The main objective of this survey is to collect data on quantity produced of the main products of the Manufacturing sector, sales value, number of employees and salaries & wages paid.
2. The August 2010 data are provisional. The data would be updated based on the latest available figures and would be published in the September 2010 publication.
3. This report can be accessed through the website of the Department of Statistics, Malaysia (www.dosm.gov.my).