↑ Top
22 from 36 selected agricultural commodities recorded SSR more than 100% in 2018
In 2018, total marine fish landings 1,476.9 thousand tonnes
The number of chickens in 2018 was 311.9 million chickens
Oil palm was a major contributor to the GDP of agriculture sector at 37.9% in 2018
In 2018, agriculture sector contributed RM99.5 billion (7.3%) to the GDP
Production of natural rubber 603.3 thousand tonnes in 2018

Summary Of Monthly Rubber Statistics Malaysia May 2012

Release Date : Thursday 12, July 2012 1201

 

1. PRODUCTION

Production of natural rubber (NR) in May 2012 was recorded at 69,072 tonnes, increased by 12.6 per cent (7,746 tonnes) when compared to April 2012. Year-on-year, production recorded a decrease of 3.6 per cent. The smallholding sector is the major contributor in the production of NR at 94.5 per cent while the remaining 5.5 per cent from the estate sector. Kedah recorded the highest NR in estates (20.7%), followed by Perak (19.8%) and Negeri Sembilan (18.3%).


2. EXPORTS

Exports of Malaysian NR in May 2012 reduced by 4.4 per cent to 62,863 tonnes when compared with April 2012. Comparison with the same month in 2011 shows that exports also decreased by 22.6 per cent (18,305 tonnes). Standard Malaysian Rubber (S.M.R.) constituted 95.9 per cent of total exports where S.M.R. 20 accounted the highest, 46.5 per cent.

The main destination of NR exports was the People's Rep. of China with 24,801 tonnes (39.5%), followed by Federal Rep. of Germany (15.2%), Rep. of Korea (3.7%), Finland (3.4%), Brazil (3.1%), Republic of Iran (2.9%), Netherland (2.8%), U.S.A. (2.7%) and South Africa (2.4%). The total exports to these countries accounted for 75.7 per cent of the overall NR exports.


3. IMPORTS

In May 2012, imports of NR was 62,388 tonnes, an increase of 1.9 per cent when compared to April 2012. Year on year, imports also rose by 36.2 per cent. Latex concentrate which is the main type of rubber imported was recorded at 42.3 per cent of total imports during reference month.

NR was imported mainly from Thailand 61.9 per cent, Vietnam 13.8 per cent and Philippines 7.4 per cent. Total imports from these three countries accounted for 83.1 per cent of the overall NR imports.


4. DOMESTIC CONSUMPTION

Domestic consumption of NR in May 2012 was 36,508 tonnes, an increase of 1.4 per cent when compared to April 2012. Comparison with the same month in 2011 also showed an increase in domestic consumption by 11.8 per cent.

The major NR consuming industries were rubber gloves 67.7 per cent, rubber thread 7.7 per cent and tyre & tubes 7.5 per cent. The total consumption of these three industries constituted 82.9 per cent of the overall domestic consumption of NR.


5. STOCKS

At the end of May 2012, the stock of NR recorded a decrease of 7,614 tonnes (-6.5%) to 110,005 tonnes compared to the level of stocks held in April 2012. Stocks also showed a reduction of 6.1% compared to that of the same month last year.


6. AVERAGE MONTHLY PRICE PER KILOGRAM
(Noon Quotations - "F.O.B")

In May 2012, the average monthly price of latex concentrate was 719.05 cent, dropped 4.4 per cent compared to April 2012. The average price of latex in May 2012 was 23.8 per cent lower when compared to May 2011.

The price of G.M.M. 20 in May 2012 was 1,030.50 cents, reduced by 6.4 per cent compared to April 2012. Whilst for the same month last year, the price of G.M.M 20 also fell by 22.8 per cent.


7. EMPLOYMENT

The total number of workers engaged in the rubber estates in May 2012 was 12,571 persons, with the number of paid employees totalling 12,567 persons and total salaries & wages paid amounting to RM13.1 million. Month-on-month, the total number of workers engaged increased by 98 persons, whilst year-on-year, it went up by 1,627 persons.


8. PRODUCTIVITY

In May 2012, the ratio of total production to total area tapped was 88.4 kilogram per hectare (kg/ha). Compared to April 2012, productivity showed an increase of 28.3 per cent, while year-on-year, productivity recorded an increase of 7.7 per cent.

 


Notes:
1. This report can be accessed through the website of the Department of Statistics, Malaysia (https://www.dosm.gov.my) under the section: Statistical Releases.
2. Data for May 2012 is provisional. The data will be updated based on the latest available figures and subsequently published in the June 2012 publication.