↑ Top
In 2021, Male: 16.8 million ; Female: 15.9 million
In 2021, Malaysia Population to reach 32.7 million

Key Findings Population and Housing Census of Malaysia 2020: Local Authority Area

Release Date : Wednesday 08, March 2023 1200



  • For the first-time, findings on the access from living quarters to facilities including sports and recreation are released was based on self-declaration by respondents in terms of the estimated nearest distance between living quarters and facilities. The accessibility was measured in distance of 0 to 5 kilometres and 5.1 kilometres and more. Facilities comprised such as health facility, religious, education and community centre,  police station, fire station, and 12 types of sports and recreational facilities.
  • Religious and community centre facilities were within 5 kilometres distance according to 90 per cent of community in LAAs. Furthermore, almost 90 per cent of respondents perceived that education centre was in close proximity than health facilities (77.2%), police station (66.5%) and fire station (47.6%). City Hall/ Council showed that 70 per cent of facilities were within 5 kilometres distance, while fire station recorded 51.9 per cent. Playground and football field were mainly within a distance of 5 kilometres as recorded by more than 80 per cent of all LAAs category. Less than 50 per cent of all LAAs category were within 5 kilometres distance to the golf course and bowling centres.
  • There were 155 LAAs in 2020 as compared to 148 LAAs in 2010. Total population of LAAs was 32.1 million from 32.4 million of Malaysia’s population counted in 2020. D.B. Kuala Lumpur recorded the highest population among all LAAs at 2.0 million in 2020 as compared to 1.6 million in 2010.
  • The population distribution for City Hall/ City Council increased to 12.3 million in 2020 as compared to 6.1 million in 2010 due to the natural population increase and the upgrade of seven Municipal Council to City Hall/ City Council in 2020. The population distribution for the Municipal Council remained at 11.8 million in 2020. Meanwhile, the District Council decreased from 8.1 million in 2010 to 7.8 million in 2020. Modified LAAs recorded a population of 225.7 thousand in 2020.
  • The number of males outnumbered females for all four LAAs in 2020, with the sex ratio of 110 for City Hall/ City Council, 110 for Municipal Council, 108 for District Council and 102 for Modified LAAs.
  • The LAAs population by main age group structure showed that 24.0 per cent were young age (0-14 years), 69.3 per cent were working age (15-64 years) and 6.7 per cent were 65 years and over (old age). Perbadanan Putrajaya has the highest distribution of young age population (38.0%), while M.D. Kinabatangan has  the highest working age population (78.8%). There were 66 out of 155 LAAs have reached the 7.0 per cent threshold of ageing. M.D. Lenggong and M.D. Lubok Antu recorded the highest ageing population at 13.5 per cent.
  • M.D. Tumpat recorded the highest total dependency ratio at 68.1. This implies that for every 100 working age populations, they were supposed to support 68.1 young and old age populations. Meanwhile, Perbadanan Putrajaya has the highest young age dependency ratio (62.6), whereas M.D. Lenggong recorded the highest old age dependency ratio (21.2).
  • The highest number of living quarters according to category of LAAs was City Hall/ City Council (3.9 million), Municipal Council (3.4 million), District Council (2.2 million) and Modified LAAs (67.0 thousand). D.B. Kuala Lumpur recorded the highest number of living quarters at 634.6 thousand, followed by M.P. Kajang (315.6 thousand) and M.B. Johor Bahru (313.7 thousand). From 9.5 million living quarters, 7.7 million (80.7%) were occupied and the remaining 1.8 million were vacant (19.3%).


The full publication can be downloaded through eStatistik portal.


Released by:

8 March 2023


Contact person:

Baharudin Mohamad 
Public Relation Officer
Strategic Communication and International Division
Department of Statistics, Malaysia
Tel : +603-8885 7942
Fax : +603-8888 9248
Email : baharudin[at]dosm.gov.my