↑ Top
Median monthly salaries & wages in 2020 decrease 15.6 per cent to RM2,062
Labour force in Malaysia increased 0.6% to 15.7 million persons in 2020
Female LFPR recorded at 55.3 per cent in 2020

Employment Statistics Fourth Quarter 2020

Release Date : Tuesday 09, February 2021 1200


This publication presents the labour demand statistics based on the Quarterly Employment Survey conducted on formal private sector establishments encompassing major economic activities namely Agriculture, Mining & Quarrying, Manufacturing, Construction and Services. The principal statistics of emloyment presented in this report are jobs, filled jobs, vacancies and jobs created by economic activity and category of skill.

Labour Demand, Fourth Quarter of 2020

The total jobs in the private sector during Q4 2020 declined 15 thousand to 8,457 thousand jobs (Q4 2019: 8,661 thousand jobs). There were 8,281 thousand filled jobs with rate of 97.9 per cent. In the meantime, the rate of vacancies was 2.1 per cent encompassing 176 thousand vacancies.

Labour Demand by Skill

Looking at the breakdown of jobs by skill category, jobs in the skilled category in Q4 2020 dropped by 36 thousand to 2,065 thousand on jobs (Q4 2019: 2,101 thousand jobs). Out of this total, 98.0 per cent was filled jobs (2,025 thousand) while the remaining 2.0 per cent were vacancies (41 thousand). There were 5 thousand jobs created in this category during this quarter.

Jobs was predominantly in the semi-skilled category with a share of 62.4 per cent or 5,279 thousand jobs. The number of jobs declined by 129 thousand from 5,408 thousand in Q4 2019. Jobs in this category comprising of 98.1 per cent of filled jobs (5,181 thousand) and 1.9 per cent of vacancies (98 thousand). More than half of jobs created were in this category which accounted 63.2 per cent from the total jobs created (11 thousand).

Meanwhile, jobs in low-skilled category decreased by 40 thousand posted 1,113 thousand jobs in this quarter compared to 1,153 thousand in Q4 2019.Low-skilled jobs constituted of 96.7 per cent of filled jobs (1,076 thousand) and 3.3 per cent of vacancies (37 thousand). During this quarter, a total of one thousand jobs were created. 

Labour Demand by Economic Activity

In terms of economic activity, more than half of jobs and filled jobs were in Services sector with a share of 51.6 per cent (4,368 thousand) and 52.4 per cent (4,341 thousand) respectively. In the meantime, filled jobs in Manufacturing sector was 2,159 thousand represented 26.1 per cent of total filled jobs. These two sectors made up 78.3 per cent of jobs (6,625 thousand) accounted for 98.1 per cent from the total of filled jobs.

While for the vacancies, the largest share was concentrated in Manufacturing sector with 55.6 per cent, followed by Agriculture (16.8%) and Services (15.4%). Construction and Mining & Quarrying sector accounted 12.0 per cent and 0.3 per cent of vacancies respectively

In the meantime, jobs created was largely in Manufacturing sector with a percentage share of 40.5 per cent. Services sector ranked second with just 2.2 percentage points difference at 38.4 per cent, followed by Construction (16.3%), Agriculture (4.4%) and Mining & Quarrying (0.5%). 

The detailed information and technical notes are published in the publication of Employment Statistics, Fourth Quarter 2020. This publication is accessible and downloadable free of charge through the eStatistik application in DOSM web page, www.dosm.gov.my.


Released By:

 DrUzir_Mahidin    Dr_Uzir

9 February 2021


Contact person:

Mohd Yusrizal Ab Razak 
Public Relation Officer
Strategic Communication and International Division
Department of Statistics, Malaysia
Tel : +603-8885 7942
Fax : +603-8888 9248
Email : yusrizal.razak[at]dosm.gov.my