↑ Top
DOSM Community
Respondent
Public
Thursday, 24 May 2018|
2013 Financial assets position reached RM1,354.0 billion
Exports 2015: Palm Oil and PO-based Products, RM63.2billion
Machinery & Transport Equipment was 41.8% of 2015 Exports

Statistics of Foreign Direct Investment in Malaysia, 2015

Release Date : Friday 28, October 2016 1200

FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT PERFORMANCE IN MALAYSIA

Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Malaysia posted a net inflow of RM43.4 billion in 2015. In the meantime, the stock recorded a value of RM504.9 billion as at the end of 2015, while investment income registered RM51.3 billion.

FDI BY COMPONENT

FDI recorded a higher net inflows in 2015 compared to last year (2014: RM35.6 billion), where component of equity & investment fund shares registered RM36.7 billion. As at end of 2015, the FDI stock increased by RM30.3 billion from RM474.6 billion, mainly supported by financial transactions and exchange rate. Equity & investment fund shares for FDI stock stood at RM456.4 billion. As for FDI investment income, the largest component was equity & investment fund shares which amounted to RM51.0 billion.

FDI BY REGION

In 2015, Asia was the main sources of FDI flows 64.7 per cent, followed by Americas (16.4%) and Europe (14.1%). The main countries of FDI flows in Asia were Japan and Singapore.  In term of stock, Asia was also the highest contributor by region (47.9%), followed by Europe (31.5%) and Americas (17.4%). At the same time, Asia was generated 40.0 per cent of investment income followed by Americas (35.5%) and Europe (23.4%). 

FDI BY SECTOR

Manufacturing sector was the main recipient of FDI flows (39.4%) in 2015. This was followed  by Mining & quarrying (30.4%) and Services sector (27.7%). As at end of 2015, FDI investment were channelled mainly in Services (47.1%) and Manufacturing sector (43.7%). These sectors collectively accounted for 90.8 per cent or RM458.8 billion. In 2015, investment income was mainly generated by Manufacturing sector of 53.8 per cent and Services sector was the second contributor of 35.1 per cent. These two sectors contributed to 88.9 per cent or RM45.6 billion to total FDI income.

Download: Summary Table of Foreign Direct Investment in Malaysia, 2014 - 2015 

 

Released By:

THE OFFICE OF CHIEF STATISTICIAN MALAYSIA
DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICS, MALAYSIA
28 October 2016

Contact person:

Ho Mei Kei
Public Relation Officer
Corporate and User Services Division
Department of Statistics, Malaysia
Tel : +603-8885 7942
Fax : +603-8888 9248
Email : mkho[at]stats.gov.my

Previous Articles :