In 2019, Malaysia’s Domestic Tourism Continued to Record Positive Growth in Terms of Value and Volume
This publication presents statistics on domestic tourism, which consists of visitor* arrivals, tourism expenditure, travelling pattern and social & demographic profile of domestic visitors. The presented statistics are based on the Domestic Tourism Survey (DTS) conducted in 2019.
PERFORMANCE OF DOMESTIC TOURISM, 2019
- A total of 239.1 million domestic visitors were recorded in 2019 with a growth of 8.1 percent as compared to previous year (7.7%).
- In terms of total tourism trips, domestic visitors undertook 332.4 million trips within the country with an average of 1.39 trips per visitor.
- Domestic tourism expenditure continued to register a double-digit growth with 11.5 per cent to RM103.2 billion in 2019 (2018: 11.4%).
- Shopping registered the highest percentage share of total expenditure made by a visitor for his/her trip with a share of 37.8 per cent.
TRAVELLING TREND OF DOMESTIC TOURISM
- In 2019, visiting relatives & friends (42.3%) continued to be the most prevalent purpose for domestic visitors making a trip. The second main purpose was shopping (35.4%), followed by holiday/ leisure/ relaxation (9.0%), entertainment/ attending special event/ sports (4.0%) and medical treatment/ wellness (4.0%).
- Selangor was the most visited state by domestic visitors in 2019 which accounted for 33.6 million visitors, followed by W.P. Kuala Lumpur (22.6 million), Sabah (22.0 million), Perak (21.1 million) and Sarawak (19.8 million).
- Land transport was widely used by domestic visitors in 2019 with 98.5 per cent.
- In 2019, unpaid accommodation provided by relatives & friends (70.9%) was the most popular type of accommodation among the tourists. This was followed by hotel (18.5%), homestay/ vacation homes (3.8%), apartment (3.6%), rest house (1.7%) and chalet (1.5%).
SOCIAL & DEMOGRAPHIC PROFILE OF DOMESTIC VISITORS
- Majority of the domestic visitors were from the age group of 25 to 39 years with a contribution of 37.8 per cent. This was followed by domestic visitors aged 15 to 24 years (26.4%), 40 to 54 years (24.1%) and 55 years and above (11.7%).
- Domestic visitors by household income class between RM1,001 to RM3,000 per month recorded the highest share with 35.7 per cent. This was followed by visitors earning between RM3,001 to RM5,000 per month (26.4%) and RM5,001 to RM10,000 per month (23.3%).
This number includes the same visitor who makes a trip or multiple trips in a year
DATO' SRI DR. MOHD UZIR MAHIDIN
CHIEF STATISTICIAN MALAYSIA
DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICS, MALAYSIA
30 June 2020
Mohd Yusrizal Ab Razak
Public Relation Officer
Strategic Communication and International Division
Department of Statistics, Malaysia
Tel : +603-8885 7942
Fax : +603-8888 9248
Email : yusrizal.razak[at]dosm.gov.my