Malaysia External Trade Statistics Online (METS Online)
Malaysia External Trade Statistics Online (METS Online) was developed to provide users the Malaysia External Trade Statistics (merchandise) (METS) between Malaysia and rest of the world. The first version of METS Online was launched in December 2010 with preformatted tables for product codes up to 4-digit for Harmonised system (HS) and 3-digit for Standard International Trade Classification (SITC). In September 2014, an improved version of METS Online (Version 2) was launched which allow users to access product codes up to 6-digit HS/5-digit SITC and also is more interactive. METS Online Version 3 was launched in 7 February 2018 which is enhanced from Version 2 with product code selection up to the most detailed tariff line (10-digit HS and 9-digit SITC). With this enhancement, users can select up to 11700 product codes compared to 5,200 codes provided in the previous version. METS Online is only available in English version.
2. COVERAGE AND SCOPE
2.1 With effect from reference month January 2012, concepts and definitions used for the purpose of compiling these statistics are based on International Merchandise Trade Statistics: Concepts and Definitions 2010 (IMTS, 2010) published by the United Nations New York, 2011.
2.2 The general system of recording is adopted in compiling Malaysia's external trade statistics. Under this system, the national boundary of the country is used as the statistical frontier. All goods entering or leaving the country (except specific exclusions) are recorded, whether or not such goods are subject to clearance. Accordingly, goods entering or leaving customs bonded warehouses, Free Trade Zones and Free Zones are recorded in the statistics.
2.3 Transactions of commercial and private ships and aircraft are also included in these statistics if they were imported or exported as goods purchased, sold or leased (financial) whether or not they arrived or departed under their own power.
3. AGGREGATED DATA
Merchandise trade in METS Online is classified according to:
- Standard International Trade Classification, Revision 3 and 4 (S.I.T.C. Rev. 3 & 4) of the United Nations.
- Harmonised Commodity Description and Coding System 1998, 2002, 2007 and 2012 and 2017 (HS 1998, HS 2002, HS 2007, HS 2012 and HS 2017) of World Customs Organisation (WCO).
In addition, metadata is also provided to facilitate users to clearly understand the definitions and concepts used in the METS. Please click here for the metadata and supplementary explanation.
5. GENERAL PROFILE
Sources of data for compilation of METS are:
- Import and export declarations (hard/soft copy) approved by the Royal Malaysian Customs Department (RMCD) and Free Zone Authorities.
- Particulars on postal/courier packages are provided by the RMCD, Pos Malaysia Bhd. and Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd. (KTMB).
- Statements and export declarations on bunkers and stores supplied to ships and aircraft issued/approved by the RMCD, Malaysian Airline System Bhd. (MAS) and petroleum companies.
- Statements on goods sold are supplied by the operators of Duty Free Shops.
- Statements on the sale and purchase of electricity issued by `Power Producer Company'.