Number of marriages increased in 2021
- The number of marriages increased 15.4 per cent from 186,297 (2020) to 214,943 (2021). Meanwhile, the number of divorces decreased 7.1 per cent from 47,272 (2020) to 43,934 (2021).
- In tandem with the increase in the number of marriages, general marriage rate for grooms increased from 42.8 to 45.8 per thousand population of unmarried males aged 18 years and over. A similar trend was also recorded for brides, which increased from 44.6 to 47.4 per thousand population of unmarried females aged 16 years and over.
- The general divorce rate at national level for males improved to 6.1 from 6.7 per thousand population of married males aged 18 years and over. A similar trend was also reported for females, improved to 6.2 from 6.9 per thousand population of married females aged 16 years and over.
- The median age of grooms and brides remained at aged 28.0 and 26.0 in 2021.
- The oldest groom and bride in 2021 were 92 and 84 years old.
- December was the most popular month of marriage. Meanwhile, June was the least popular for Muslim and Non-Muslim marriages in 2021.
The full publication of the Marriage And Divorce, Malaysia, 2022 can be downloaded from eStatistik portal.
DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICS MALAYSIA
25 November 2022
Public Relation Officer
Strategic Communication and International Division
Department of Statistics, Malaysia
Tel : +603-8885 7942
Fax : +603-8888 9248