- The number of live births for the third quarter of 2022 decreased 3.0 per cent from 112,776 births in the third quarter of 2021 to 109,397 births. Males babies outnumbered females babies with 56,572 births as compared to females babies (52,825 births). Selangor recorded the highest live births with 22,260 births (20.3%) while Wilayah Persekutuan Labuan recorded the lowest (376 births: 0.3%).
- A total of 50,276 deaths was recorded in the third quarter 2022, decreased by 31.7 per cent as compared to the third quarter 2021 (73,606 deaths). The number of deaths recorded for males were 28,533 while females 21,743 deaths. Selangor recorded the highest number of deaths with 7,744 deaths (15.4%) while Wilayah Persekutuan Putrajaya was the lowest with 58 deaths (0.1%).
- Deaths due to COVID-19 decreased in the third quarter of 2022 from 21,104 deaths in the third quarter of 2021 to 597 deaths. Deaths due to COVID-19 contributed 1.2 per cent from the total number of deaths in the third quarter of 2022. Selangor recorded the highest number of COVID-19 deaths (131 deaths) while no death was recorded in Wilayah Persekutuan Labuan.
- Malaysia’s population in the third quarter 2022 was estimated at 32.9 million, increased by 0.9 per cent as compared to third quarter 2021 (32.6 million). The total population comprised 30.3 million (92.2%) Citizens and 2.6 million (7.8%) Non-Citizens.
- Males population increased from 17.1 million to 17.3 million as compared to the third quarter 2021 while females increased from 15.5 million to 15.6 million in the same period. The sex ratio was 111 males per 100 females. Three states with the highest population in the third quarter 2022 were Selangor (21.6%) followed by Johor (12.3%) and Sabah (10.4%).
DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICS MALAYSIA
8 November 2022
Public Relation Officer
Strategic Communication and International Division
Department of Statistics, Malaysia
Tel : +603-8885 7942
Fax : +603-8888 9248
E-mail : baharudin[at]dosm.gov.my