↑ Top
GDP constant prices are now expressed in 2015 prices
Malaysia’s economy contracted 5.6 per cent in 2020

Tourism Satellite Account 2019

Release Date : Friday 18, September 2020 1200


The tourism industry continues to maintain in a good momentum for 2019. The GVATI recorded a contribution of 15.9 per cent to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) as compared to 15.2 per cent in 2018, amounted RM240.2 billion (2018: RM220.4 billion). In 2019, GVATI  registered a growth rate of 9.0 per cent (2018: 9.8%) as shown in Exhibit 1.



From the perspective of Services sector, tourism industry contributed 27.9 per cent to the entire sector in 2019 as compared to 27.4 per cent in the previous year. Overall, the largest contribution in the tourism industry dominated by retail trade (46.2%), followed by food & beverage (18.0%) and country-specific tourism characteristics services (12.3%). These three components of the tourism expenditure contributed 76.5 per cent to the total GVATI (Exhibit 2).



The performance of the tourism industry is also reflected in the contribution of TDGDP to GDP, which increased to 6.8 per cent in 2019 (2018: 6.5%). During the same period, TDGDP also recorded an annual growth of 7.9 per cent as compared to 7.6 per cent in 2018. TDGDP performance driven by retail trade, accommodation and food & beverage with a contribution of 42.2 per cent, 18.6 per cent and 11.2 per cent respectively (Exhibit 2).



Internal tourism consumption comprises of inbound and domestic tourism expenditure. The internal tourism consumption remain its growth at 6.8 per cent as compared to 6.9 per cent in the previous year. For the first time since the TSA compilation in 2005, the domestic tourism expenditure outpaces the inbound tourism expenditure. The share of domestic tourism expenditure to internal tourism consumption increased to 50.9 per cent from 48.6 per cent in the previous year (Exhibit 3).



Inbound tourism expenditure increased to RM89.4 billion (2018: RM87.7 billion) which grew 2.0 per cent as compared to 2.3 per cent in 2018 (Exhibit 4). This is in accordance with the average length of stay which increased to 7.4 nights as compared to 6.5 nights in the previous year. The component of tourists contributed 97.0 per cent (RM86.7 billion) to the inbound tourism expenditure while the remaining 3.0 per cent (RM2.7 billion) was received from excursionists.

Country-specific tourism characteristic goods (shopping) remained as the highest contributor in inbound expenditure with a share of 33.3 per cent followed by accommodation 24.4 per cent and passenger transport 18.4 per cent. The slower growth of accommodation expenditure at 0.9 per cent (2018: 2.8%) was coherent with the decrease number of hotel guests and number of rooms sold in 2019.



Domestic tourism expenditure recorded RM92.6 billion (2018: RM82.7 billion) with a consistent double digit growth of 12.0 per cent (2018: 12.3%) as shown in Exhibit 5. 

The better performance of domestic tourism expenditure was supported by shopping as the biggest contributor at 42.1 per cent, followed by automotive fuel (16.7%) and food & beverage (15.9%). Visiting friends’ and relatives’ as the main purpose of domestic tourism caused the significant growth in purchase of automotive fuel at 13.0 per cent (2018: 8.8%).


In general, expenditure of resident visitors abroad recorded an increase to RM44.8 billion from RM41.1 billion in 2018 as shown in Exhibit 6. It recorded a higher annual growth at 8.9 per cent as compared to 5.8 per cent in the preceding year.

The main share of components in the outbound tourism expenditure in 2019 are passenger transport (31.8%), shopping (24.3%) and accommodation (22.5%). In comparison, outbound tourism expenditure contributed approximately 24.8 per cent to total imports of services which posted an increase of 2.0 percentage points as against 2018.


Tourism ratio measures the level of internal tourism consumption towards the domestic supply in the tourism industry. In 2019, the tourism ratio recorded at 39.3 per cent as compared to 39.6 per cent in the preceding year which showed the consumption of non-tourism products increased by 0.3 percentage points. Accommodation is the most consumed product by visitors with a consumption rate of 92.6 per cent, followed by travel agencies & other reservation services (81.4%) and passenger transport services (55.6%) as shown in Exhibit 7.

Consumption of tourism product in passenger transport, travel agencies, automotive fuel and cultural, sport & recreational has increased in the tourism ratio for the year 2019 as compared to the preceding year.




In 2019, employment in the tourism industry recorded 3.6 million persons (2018: 3.5 million) which contributed 23.6 per cent (2018: 23.5%) to the total employment.

Food & beverage serving services and retail trade were the main industries in tourism employment with a share of 34.7 per cent and 32.5 per cent respectively. Both subsectors have cumulatively contributed 67.2 per cent to total tourism employment.

Released By:

 DrUzir_Mahidin    Dr_Uzir

18 September 2020


Contact person:

Mohd Yusrizal Ab Razak 
Public Relation Officer
Strategic Communication and International Division
Department of Statistics, Malaysia
Tel : +603-8885 7942
Fax : +603-8888 9248
Email : yusrizal.razak[at]dosm.gov.my

Previous Articles :